1/27/2011

Apple Bars

I have been buying a lot of apples lately - partly because they are on sale at Costco & partly because I am loving eating them with peanut butter for lunch. I love the taste of the two together & you don't have the guilt of eating too much bread. Which is my downfall!

I have made this recipe twice in the last week and need to stop now. It is too good to resist & I am trying to put as many into the kids lunches as possible to get them out of the house! These bars are so yummy. They puff up as they cook and the top gets crackly and crisp while the inside is soft and gooey. They have a bit of a fall feel to them, which I always love.

Apple Bars

1 cup melted butter
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups peeled, cored and diced apples
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan.

Mix the butter, sugar and egg until creamy. Add in the flour, soda and cinnamon and mix well. Stir in the apples and walnuts. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Remember, the outside will be crispy and look done while the middle might still be gooey!

Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. So I baked these the other day....SO good! I convinced myself it'd be okay to eat them for breakfast, I had one (or two) with lunch, I ate them as a snack...you see where this is headed.
    I love this recipe!
    On a side note, my oven must be a little off because I took mine out 5 minutes early & they were baked more than yours are. But they were delish none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try making these and sub 1/2 the melted butter with greek yogurt to make them a bit more healthy. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the good work. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. outdoor boots

    ReplyDelete